Tuesday 13 May 2014

Re-think


I just had my first Mother’s Day as a mother. As requested, it was understated. All I really wanted to do was stay in my pajamas and eat a lot of bacon, so dreams really do come true.

It’s still kind of strange to think of myself as someone’s mom. Still getting used to it. It’s making me re-think my entire identity. It’s making me re-think a lot of things.

My mom was down for the weekend, which is always wonderful. Took her to the farmer’s market on Saturday morning. This is the last weekend that the market is inside and then it moves outdoors again. Can hardly wait. Love the outdoor market. Love the indoor market too, but there’s something about the outdoors.

A busy Saturday morning at the market.

At any rate, it was a lovely weekend with plenty of visits from family.  I debuted a new recipe, and am sharing it here. I am also trying to re-think fruit right now, so decided that pears might work in a stir-fry.

Chicken stir-fry with pear and baby bok choy
(makes 4 servings)



Ingredients:
1 ½ lbs chicken breasts, cut into strips
½ cup soy sauce
1 tsp mustard seed
1 tbsp ground dry ginger (or ½ tbsp fresh ginger finely chopped)
1 tbsp olive oil
½ lb baby bok choy, separated into leaves and roughly chopped
2 medium-sized bartlett pears, cut into strips
¼ cup green onions, finely chopped
¼ cup mushrooms, finely chopped
1 package thin rice vermicelli

Whisk together the soy sauce, mustard and ginger. Fold in the chicken strips and allow to marinate in refrigerator for one hour.

Add olive oil to wok, add chicken and marinade and begin to cook over medium heat. Once cooked through, remove the chicken from the pan to an oven safe bowl and set aside.

Add bok choy, pears, onions and mushrooms to pan and lightly sauté until bok choy begins to wilt.  Return chicken to the pan and fold in veggies. Reduce heat.

Cook rice vermicelli according to package directions. Do not overcook.

Divide vermicelli into four servings and plate. Top with veggies and chicken.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment